Retaliatory Discharge (WA State)
THE WASHINGTON LAW AGAINST DISCRIMINATION (WLAD) -- RETLAITION
Unfair practices—Discrimination against person opposing unfair practice—Retaliation against whistleblower.
(1) It is an unfair practice for any employer, employment agency, labor union, or other person to discharge, expel, or otherwise discriminate against any person because he or she has opposed any practices forbidden by this chapter, or because he or she has filed a charge, testified, or assisted in any proceeding under this chapter.
(3) It is an unfair practice for any employer, employment agency, labor union, government agency, government manager, or government supervisor to discharge, expel, discriminate, or otherwise retaliate against an individual assisting with an office of fraud and accountability investigation under RCW 74.04.012, unless the individual has willfully disregarded the truth in providing information to the office.
(1) he engaged in a statutorily protected activity;
(2) he was discharged or had some adverse employment action taken against him; and
(3) retaliation was a substantial motive behind the adverse employment action.